Thursday, August 18, 2011

I Need a Level 2 u/s

My 100th post and I never thought I'd be writing about this. 

I got home from my business trip at 12:30 last night and had a message waiting from the OB.  I've been scheduled for a level 2 u/s on Tuesday afternoon because they saw an echogenic focus in the heart on the u/s last Friday.  The OB said this is very common.  My research said this shows up in 3-5% of pregnancies and with some ethnic groups as high as 30%.  But he said it is a soft marker for Down's.  Cue the panic and tears.  He said he isn't really worried because my IPS screening results were so good.  From my research it looks like 1% of these = Down's which is really, really low.  The risk jumps with bad screening results but I didn't have that.  The risk jumps if they find something else on the u/s.  The OB didn't mention anything else in the message but I think they'll be looking really in depth at the u/s next week.  I'm just praying they don't find any other indicators.  The risk also jumps if you are AMA, and I'm 37.  The risk doubles. 

There are no worries about an actual heart defect as this is a calcification and for some reason that seems to happen.  It generally resolves in the 3rd trimester and if not then certainly after birth.  So I'm not worried about that.  I'm really worried that this is an indicator for Down's.  IPS screening catches 90% of Down's cases.  And this indicator + my age = a 2% risk.  Yes, I know that is still really low but someone has to fall into that 2%.  No one wants to be that 2%.

I thought I was out of the clear but now I feel horrible. 

I'm going to try to focus on the small risk factor so I can enjoy my weekend away but it is going to be really, really hard. 


  1. Totally understand your fears, I had the same thing and my little guy is 100% fine! I also had a two vessel umbillical cord which is another soft marker, but IPS was fine, and 2nd level was fine, though it took longer than the first one (got to see more pics yay!) plus they'll likely confirm the boyness for you on that one :) Funny how you get to leave the first ultrasound feeling awesome and then get a call, or in my case it was at the follow up appointment which I walked into thinking it would be routine! I know you will any way, but try not to worry. And seriously, don't google these things lol, dr google is not your friend on these types of issues!

    I'm not sure if you are on there but there is a yahoo group for SMC's in Ottawa and we get together about once a month or so (thinkers, tryers and with kids or expecting), something you might like as another resource of "been there done that" ladies :)

  2. Thanks Heather. I had the followup on Monday and my OB hadn't seen the results yet. I thought if I got a call it would be because something wasn't clear and they needed to take a better peek. Yes, it is a chance to make sure this is actually a boy and much sooner than I thought I'd be going in.

    Yes, I'd love to connect to the SMC group. I'm the only one I know doing this here and the closest group I know of is in Toronto! lol My friends are either in the don't want kids or seriously married with kids camp.

  3. Keeping you and your baby in my thoughts and hoping the level 2 ultrasound clears up any reason for concern.

  4. yahoo group is SMC-Ottawa, there are quite a few ladies in the group, a few are expecting now, and a few who have kids my son's age, some thinkers, some tryers, and a few with older kids too. I think if you go on yahoo to groups you can find it but let me know if you have any problems.

    Jackson had two spots on his heart in the ultrasound and both were gone by the time he was born (had a few ultrasounds near the end). the level 2 ultrasound was in depth, and done by a tech then redone by a doctor. they told me right there the results too which was good.

  5. I'm sorry about the stress you're feeling but as the others said, it's likely innocuous & will resolve itself. I pray Monday's ultrasound will be fine... 2% is still very, very low odds, remember there are 98% that produce healthy babies & that's where you & the little one will fall.

  6. Thinking of you and sending prayers for the best possible outcome (which sounds extremely statistically likely).

  7. I'm sorry to hear you have to go through this stress & worry. Thinking positive thoughts for you & hoping everything will be ok