Monday, May 30, 2011

Food aversions

Well, I think I experienced my first pregnancy related food aversion today.  Broccoli and cauliflower.

I do my best to eat a full variety of fruits and veggies every day.  I find it easier to get my veggies in at lunch because if I bring it I have to eat it.  I can't simply run to the store to get a different vegetable.  I cooked up a bunch of broccoli and cauliflower yesterday to take along with lunches this week ... along with roast chicken and rice.  I normally like broccoli, even more so than cauliflower.  Except for today. 

I had my normal morning snack and got my 11 am hunger pains so I had a few 'we've been exposed to humidity for too long' pretzels and I was hungry at those points.  When it came to lunch I just didn't feel hungry.  But I need to eat because (1) I'm pregnant, and (2) I manage my PCOS by eating every few hours.  I need to take my medication with my full meals.  I just didn't want to eat my lunch ... at all.  But most importantly it was the broccoli and cauliflower that turned me off.  I was so shocked. 

Now, it may be in part because we've gone from comfortable weather to summer heat and humidity overnight.  And it will be worse tomorrow.  And in the heat and humidity I loose my appetite.  Totally normal for me over summer.  But it is not normal for me to be eating plain steamed vegetables and have to stop and throw the rest out because I'm going to vomit if I don't.  Ugh!

I don't have any other options planned for tomorrow's lunch although I think I might take some fruit with me to eat instead of the veggies.  Fresh sweet fruit doesn't seem to turn me off yet. 

But give me salt, and I'd eat that by the pound right now.  Go figure.

And thanks to Shannon for a yoga DVD recommendation.  If anyone else has any please post them in the comments.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. You'll be better off without the broccoli & cauliflower once the pregnancy gas hits!

    ReplyDelete